NEW ZEALAND YOUTH SYMPHONIC WINDS
MUSICAL DIRECTOR 2019
Now in its sixth year, NZYSW is the premier auditioned national ensemble for wind, brass and percussion players under the age of 25. NZCBA is the umbrella association of NZYSW.
New Zealand Youth Symphonic Winds will be meeting twice in 2019.
Summer Event: Auckland. Wednesday January 23 to Saturday January 26. Three nights.
Winter Event: Christchurch. Thursday July 4 to July 7th. Three nights.
Applications are requested for the position of Music Director. Below are skills and responsibilities required to carry out this role:
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with wind band repertoire, conducting and directing
- An enthusiastic and skilled approach to wind band music-making
- Considerable experience working with and inspiring young adults
- Programme repertoire for all performances
- Work and liaise with the NZCBA Executive, Band Manager, Assistant Conductor* (the latter to be selected after the band positions are filled) with regards to organisation and planning.
*The intent of the role of Assistant Conductor is to provide an opportunity for a young conductor to work at this level of musical direction with the guiding support of the MD. It is expected that the AC will direct and conduct at least one piece in each programme. It is anticipated that the AC will be a playing member of the band.
- Be prepared to offer input into future events and longer term direction
- Have a role in future audition processes
The Musical Director will receive an honorarium of $5000. Travel within NZ and accommodation and meals will be covered or reimbursed.
Applicants accept that they must be Police vetted before commencing this role.
Applications should be in writing, include the names of two referees that we may contact, and then sent to the email address below by 5pm Friday November 16.
Please refer any queries to same email.
President/Secretary New Zealand Concert Bands Association