Code of Conduct
All players must apply and audition each year.
NZYSW reserves the right of admission under all circumstances.
NZYSW reserves the right to make exceptions in age limits and regulations.
In 2018, two Events will be held: Summer Event, Winter Event.
- Any attempt to influence the outcome of auditions will disqualify an applicant. Contacting the judging panel in advance will immediately exclude you from the process – canvassing will not be tolerated.
- The decision of the NZYSW audition panel will be final.
- Dates of Events will be advised before the audition closing date. Players who are offered and accept a place must confirm availability for both Events. Exceptions to this will only be made in cases where instrumentation is not affected. NZYSW reserves the right to make changes in dates or repertoire if necessary.
- Players must be present at all rehearsals/concerts.
- All players must return a google form providing contact details, medical concerns and dietary requests, which must also be ‘signed’ by a primary carer if under 18.
- Conditions such as epilepsy, diabetes and eating disorders must be notified regardless of age.
- A player who has been in hospital or has attended a GP in the week prior to arrival must bring a doctor’s letter stating fitness to attend.
- A player who is unable to rehearse for 24 hours will be asked to leave the course to seek medical attention at home. The decision of NZYSW on this will be final.
- Players who need glasses/contacts to read music should carry spare lenses/glasses.
- Memberships fees are non-refundable except in cases of certified medical illness or bereavement prior to the start of a course. Doctors’ bills incurred on course are the player’s responsibility. No refund can be given when players leave a course after arrival.
Rehearsal and performance
- Players in NZYSW must accept rules concerning group discipline while under rehearsal and performance or in residence. These are based on common sense, safety, consideration for others and the requirements of performance.
- Players perform in public as members of NZYSW at the discretion of NZYSW. Where they are not up to standard for any reason during the courses, the decision of NZYSW will be final.
- Mobile phones must be fully switched off during all rehearsals and performances.
- Members of the NZYSW are expected to familiarise themselves with all works on the programme for upcoming events through recordings and practise.
- Players must have soft pencils for marking music and erasers at every rehearsal.
- The policy of NZYSW is to conduct closed rehearsals. No-one is permitted to attend rehearsals without invitation. A person who attends without permission may be asked to leave.
- All players are expected to be able to work during rehearsals and to perform to the highest level.
In Residence and on Tour
- Players may not leave rehearsal, residential or concert venues without permission.
- Players are not allowed to change bedrooms without permission for security reasons.
- Contracts with places of accommodation are made by NZYSW. Primary carers/players may not contact institutions directly to make special arrangements without permission from the NZYSW.
- Damage caused to property whether in residence, during rehearsal periods or on tour must be paid for by those responsible.
- Players must be in their own bedroom at the designated time each evening.
- Quiet must be observed in bedrooms after midnight in public and private accommodation in order to allow others who are asleep or who wish to sleep to rest undisturbed.
- Players participate in Events at their own risk. Primary carers and players must arrange that instruments are insured under all circumstances including travel. Players should not bring unnecessary valuables and should label personal property.
- Responsibility for players reverts back to the primary carer at the conclusion of the last concert of each Event.
- Players may not purchase or consume alcohol at any time.
- No player may bring alcohol into buses, bedrooms, rehearsal, residential or concert venues.
- Bullying or any type of emotional or physical intimidation towards others will not be tolerated.
- Players are not permitted to smoke.